Energy & Atmosphere
Everything we do has an effect since we're all part of the environmental system.
The Energy and Atmosphere category is about designing a building that uses as little energy as possible through conservation, efficiency, and the use of alternative renewable energy sources. We reduced our energy consumption (over what is typical) by 44%, saving 25% of our energy cost.
How can you reduce your energy use?
- Turn lights off when not in use
- Minimize outdoor lighting
- Lower thermostat in winter, raise it in summer
- Bundle shopping trips to drive less
Criteria for Energy & Atmosphere
- Building Commissioning
- We created an operating plan based on the engineering that ensures our building will run the way it was designed. We use this plan regularly for maintenance to catch possible leaks, breaks, or inefficiencies.
- Measurement and Verification
- Just as with water, we need to put meters on our system so we can measure and adjust how much we use.
- Green Power
- We purchase renewable energy certificates (RECS) for every kilowatt hour of electricity we consume. Short of actually producing the power ourselves, RECS provide the most important means of supporting and expanding renewable electricity production.
- Refrigerant Management
- To help maintain the ozone layer and adhere to the Montreal Protocol, (an international treaty designed to protect the ozone layer), we committed not to use any cooling with CFC refrigerants.