BYLAWS OF THE Parents Association
ARTICLE I NAME
The name of the association shall be the Parents Association of Princeton Day School.
ARTICLE II STATEMENT
The purpose of the Parents Association of Princeton Day School is to promote a strong sense of community in partnership with the school and facilitate communication, cooperation and involvement throughout the PDS community
ARTICLE III MEMBERSHIP
Parents and guardians of the students of PDS shall be members of the Parents Association, upon payment of such dues as may be fixed, from time to time, by the Governing Board of the association.
ARTICLE IV THE GOVERNING BOARD OF THE ASSOCIATION
The Governing Board of the Association shall be responsible for conducting the general business of the Parents Association and shall consist of the following members:
Governing Board of The Parents Association
Executive Council of the Governing Board
- President Elect
- Nominating Chair
ARTICLE V EXECUTIVE COUNCIL OF THE GOVERNING BOARD
There shall be an Executive Council of the Governing Board, which shall consist of the President, President Elect, Treasurer, and Nominating Chair. The Executive Council shall have all the power and authority of the Governing Board between meetings of the Governing Board, except that it shall have no power to amend the bylaws. The President shall have general supervision over the operations of Parents Association and shall preside at all meetings of the Association, the Executive Council and the Governing Board. The President Elect shall exercise all the powers of the President in the President’s absence.
ARTICLE VI MEETINGS
The annual meeting of the association will be held in the spring. In the fall a meeting of the Governing Board shall take place as early as possible after the opening of the school. At the first Governing Board meeting the treasurer shall present the planned budget for the year and will report on the final status of Parents Association accounts of the prior fiscal year. If funds remain in any Parents Association accounts from a previous fiscal year, the Governing Board will make appropriate plans for the transfer, spending, or saving of those funds whereby they will best support the purpose of the association. Notes of the financial plans should appear in the minutes of the meeting. Other meetings of the Governing Board, with or without the committee and class parents, shall be held at the call of the President or of a majority of the Governing Board.
ARTICLE VII ELECTIONS
- The Nominating Committee shall present a proposed slate of members of the Executive Council and Governing Board at the Annual Meeting of the Association. Further nominations may be made from the floor with the consent of the nominee.
- The term of office for the Nominating Committee Chair shall be two years.
- The immediate Past President shall serve on the Governing Board for one year as President Ex Officio, without a vote.
- A member of the Governing Board may serve for one additional year in his or her elected office at the discretion of the Nominating Committee.
- In the event of the resignation of a Governing Board member, the assistant chair shall assume the role of the Governing Board chair for the remainder of the current school year and shall continue in that capacity for the following school year. The President, Nominating Committee Chair and the Executive Council of the Governing Board shall handle all other resignations.
- A trustee or spouse of a trustee may not serve in any of the following positions during his/her term as a trustee: President, President Elect, Treasurer. The PA President serves as a trustee during his/her term of office.
- An employee of the school may not hold the following positions on the Governing Board: President.
ARTICLE VIII COMMITTEES
- In addition to the Executive Council there shall be a Nominating Committee and such other committees of the association as the Governing Board may from time to time establish. The Governing Board may, at any time, dissolve any committee other than the Executive Council or the Nominating Committee.
- The Nominating Committee chair shall be elected by the members of the association at the annual meeting. The other members of the Nominating Committee shall include the current President, the President Elect, the Assistant Chairs of upper school, middle school and lower school and four “at large” members. The “at large” members must represent each of the three schools and may include the President Ex Officio.
- The chairs of all the committees, other than the Nominating Committee, shall be appointed by the Governing Board. The committee chairs shall select the members of other committees.
ARTICLE IX PARENT REPRESENTATIVES
Class parents for each of the three schools (upper, middle and lower) shall be selected by the chairs and assistant chair of the particular school. Parents interested in becoming class parents should contact their school chairs during the winter or spring preceding the year in which they wish to serve.
ARTICLE X AMENDMENT OF BYLAWS
These bylaws may be amended either by a vote taken at the annual meeting of the association or by a vote of the majority of the Governing Board actually attending a meeting, provided that in each case written notice of the proposed amendments be given in the notice of the meeting.