Athletics at PDS
PDS is committed to the development of our athletes and the excellence of our teams.
With an exceptionally broad and deep sports program encompassing 68 Varsity, Junior Varsity, and Middle School co-ed, boys and/or girls teams, the athletics program at Princeton Day School prepares gifted athletes to compete at the college level while also ensuring that all students have the opportunity to experience the lifelong benefits of athletic participation and physical fitness.
Approximately 90% of PDS 6th-8th Grade Middle Schoolers participate in sports and 60% of PDS Upper School students play at least one sport during the school year. On average, 8-15% of our graduating student body participates in collegiate sports in any given class year.
PDS is a member of New Jersey Independent Schools Athletic Association, which competes statewide and against regional rivals. We perennially compete for NJISAA State Championships as well as the Mercer County Tournament Association titles. In addition, we compete in the Women’s Interscholastic Hockey League of the Mid-Atlantic and the Mid-Atlantic Hockey League (Boys).
Our accomplished coaching staff includes PDS alumni and teachers and includes men and women with years—and, in some cases, decades—of coaching experience. These coaches are assisted by Certified Athletic Trainers and a full-scale Athletic Training Room to provide our athletes with the best support possible.
The school’s 106-acre campus features outstanding athletics facilities. Our extensive playing fields include:
- Two turf fields
- Eight tennis courts
- Four grass soccer/lacrosse fields
- Two baseball fields
- Two softball fields
- Cross country trail
The Princeton Day School Athletic Center is the centerpiece of our indoor athletic facilities. It is a sustainably designed, Leed silver-certified 20,000+ square-foot facility that encompasses:
- Lisa McGraw '44 Skating Rink
- Squash Wing with 4 squash courts
- Fields House large enough to accommodate our entire school and created for multi-sport use, including 2 full-sized basketball courts
- Indoor batting cages
Additional athletics facilities on campus include:
- Two gyms
- Patrick Kerney '93 Fitness Center with extensive facilities
- Lower School gymateria
Actively enforced for spring 2021 outdoor athletic contests hosted at Princeton Day School:
- Live-streaming of home games here.
- PDS has assigned monitors for each home game to enforce rules.
- Face masks and social distancing for outdoor events per current CDC guidelines.
- No screening form is necessary.
- Bleachers* will not be utilized; attendees are encouraged to bring their own chair.*
- Designated visiting team spectator section.
- Non-compliant spectators are asked to leave the premises.
Thank you for your patience and support as we continue to keep our athletes—and all members of the PDS community—safe and healthy.
*The only bleachers available are those behind the visiting team dugout at the Varsity Baseball Field, which will be for visitor spectators only.
Read More about PDS 2021 Spring Athletic Awards & Season Recaps
Read More about PDS Boys Lacrosse: A Year of Resilience
Read More about PDS Track & Field Club a Success in 1st Season
Read More about Spirited Varsity Softball Shows Promise
Read More about Boys Varsity Tennis Wins Prep B Tournament Doubles Championships
Read More about Girls Lacrosse Features Strong Leadership and Potent Offense