Hours & Calendar
Monday, August 22 — Pre-Season Fall Upper School Athletics Begin
Tuesday, August 23 — New Faculty and Staff Orientation
Wednesday, August 24 — New Faculty and Staff Orientation
Thursday, August 25 — Opening Faculty and Staff Meetings
Friday, August 26 — Opening Faculty and Staff Meetings
Monday, August 29 — Opening Faculty and Staff Meetings
Tuesday, August 30 — Opening Faculty and Staff Meetings
Wednesday, August 31 — Student Orientation
Thursday, September 1 — Student Orientation
Wednesday, September 7 — Classes Begin
Tuesday, September 20 — Lower School Back-to-School Night
Thursday, September 22 — Middle School Back-to School Night
Monday, September 26 — No School, Rosh Hashanah
Thursday, September 29 — Upper School Back-to-School Night
Wednesday, October 5 — No School, Yom Kippur
Monday, October 10 — No School, Indigenous Peoples’ Day
Monday, October 24 — No School, Diwali
Wednesday, November 9 — MS & US Teacher Conferences (No School-MS & US)
Thursday, November 10 — LS, MS & US Teacher Conferences (No School)
Friday, November 11 — LS, MS & US Teacher Conferences (No School)
Tuesday, November 22 — Thanksgiving Break begins after dismissal
Monday, November 28 — PreK-12 Classes Resume
Friday, December 16 — Winter Break begins after dismissal
Tuesday, January 3 — PreK-12 Classes Resume
Monday, January 16 — No School, Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Friday, February 17 — No School, Presidents’ Day Weekend
Monday, February 20 — No School, Presidents’ Day Weekend
Friday, March 10 — Spring Break begins after dismissal
Monday, March 27 — PreK-12 Classes Resume
Thursday, April 6 — Lower School Teacher Conferences (No School-LS)
Friday, April 7 — No School, Good Friday
Monday, May 29 — No School, Memorial Day
Tuesday, June 6 — Lower School Final Assembly
Wednesday, June 7 — Middle School Final Assembly
Friday, June 9 — Upper School Commencement
Friday, June 16 — No School, Juneteenth
- School Hours Per Division
- Highlights of the PDS 7-Day Cycle Academic Schedule
- Cycle Component Highlights Per Division
Highlights of the Princeton Day School 7-day cycle academic schedule:
- All three divisions experience a 7-day rotation of classes rather than 5-day rotation of classes pegged to the days of the week. The purpose of a 7-day rotation is to protect academic time by avoiding the inevitable loss of particular classes that occurs when school is not in session on multiple Mondays throughout the year, such as Martin Luther King Day and Presidents Weekend.
- Academic periods are longer to promote more student-centered, collaborative teaching and more durable learning.
- Fewer classes meet per day, which facilitates better focus and stamina while easing the number of subjects to cover in nightly homework loads.
- The day is more evenly paced with scheduled breaks provided throughout the day.
- With more strategically-positioned breaks, students have far fewer "back to back" classes, thereby giving them more time to consolidate their learning and transition comfortably and confidently to their next class.
- The schedule provides more time for deeper, more innovative, creative and interdisciplinary programs that enliven our curriculum and better serve the needs of students.
Cycle components vary by Division and include:
- Resource Period in Middle School meets every day and is decoupled from Ensembles, ensuring that MS students can connect with their teachers every day and also have dedicated Ensemble time.
- Resource Period in the Upper School is called the "Conference/Collaboration Period" and gives US students broad and consistent access to their teachers when they need extra help. The positioning of this Period at the end of the day also ensures that early athletic dismissals do not encroach on class time.
- "Da Vinci Period" in Middle School creates a platform for innovative, creative, experiential programs conducted on a trimester basis.
- The Lower School schedule maximizes the amount of time students spend with their homeroom teacher, which is the single most important determinant of student learning and well being for our LS learners.
- Lower School dismisses at 2:30pm on Wednesdays, and at 3pm Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays..