Hours & Calendar
Monday, August 23 — Pre-Season Fall Upper School Athletics Begins
Tuesday, August 24 — New Faculty and Staff Orientation
Wednesday, August 25 — New Faculty and Staff Orientation
Thursday, August 26 — Opening Faculty and Staff Meetings
Friday, August 27 — Opening Faculty and Staff Meetings
Monday, August 30 — Opening Faculty and Staff Meetings
Tuesday, August 31 — Opening Faculty and Staff Meetings
Wednesday, September 1 — Student Orientation
Thursday, September 2 — Student Orientation
Thursday, September 9 — Classes Begin
Thursday, September 16 — No School, Yom Kippur
Tuesday, September 21 — Lower School Back-to-School Night
Thursday, September 23 — Middle School Back-to-School Night
Thursday, September 30 — Upper School Back-to-School Night
Monday, October 11 — No Classes
Thursday, November 4 — No School, Diwali
Wednesday, November 10 — MS &US Teacher Conferences (No MS & US Classes)
Thursday, November 11 — LS, MS & US Teacher Conferences (No LS, MS & US Classes)
Friday, November 12 — LS, MS & US Teacher Conferences (No LS, MS & US Classes)
Tuesday, November 23 — Thanksgiving Break begins after dismissal
Monday, November 29 — PreK-12 Classes Resume
Friday, December 17 — Winter Break begins after dismissal
Monday, January 3 — PreK-12 Classes Resume
Monday, January 17 — No School, Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Tuesday, February 1 — No School, Lunar New Year
Friday, February 18 — No School, Presidents’ Day Weekend
Monday, February 21 — No School, Presidents’ Day Weekend
Friday, March 11 — Spring Break begins after dismissal
Monday, March 28 — PreK-12 Classes Resume
Friday, April 8 — Lower School Teacher Conferences (No LS Classes)
Friday, April 15 — No School, Good Friday
Tuesday, May 3 — No School, Eid al-Fitr
Monday, May 30 — No School, Memorial Day
Tuesday, June 7 — Lower School Final Assembly
Wednesday, June 8 — Middle School Final Assembly
Friday, June 10 — Upper School Commencement
- School Hours Per Division
- Highlights of the PDS 7-Day Cycle Academic Schedule
- Cycle Component Highlights Per Division
Highlights of the Princeton Day School 7-day cycle academic schedule:
- All three divisions experience a 7-day rotation of classes rather than 5-day rotation of classes pegged to the days of the week. The purpose of a 7-day rotation is to protect academic time by avoiding the inevitable loss of particular classes that occurs when school is not in session on multiple Mondays throughout the year, such as Martin Luther King Day and Presidents Weekend.
- Academic periods are longer to promote more student-centered, collaborative teaching and more durable learning.
- Fewer classes meet per day, which facilitates better focus and stamina while easing the number of subjects to cover in nightly homework loads.
- The day is more evenly paced with scheduled breaks provided throughout the day.
- With more strategically-positioned breaks, students have far fewer "back to back" classes, thereby giving them more time to consolidate their learning and transition comfortably and confidently to their next class.
- The schedule provides more time for deeper, more innovative, creative and interdisciplinary programs that enliven our curriculum and better serve the needs of students.
Cycle components vary by Division and include:
- Resource Period in Middle School meets every day and is decoupled from Ensembles, ensuring that MS students can connect with their teachers every day and also have dedicated Ensemble time.
- Resource Period in the Upper School is called the "Conference/Collaboration Period" and gives US students broad and consistent access to their teachers when they need extra help. The positioning of this Period at the end of the day also ensures that early athletic dismissals do not encroach on class time.
- "Da Vinci Period" in Middle School creates a platform for innovative, creative, experiential programs conducted on a trimester basis.
- The Lower School schedule maximizes the amount of time students spend with their homeroom teacher, which is the single most important determinant of student learning and well being for our LS learners.
- Lower School dismisses at 2:30pm on Wednesdays, and at 3pm Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays..