Princeton Day School has a rich educational heritage reaching from the 19th Century to today. Our campus along The Great Road in Princeton opened in 1965 thanks to the incredible generosity of Dean Mathey, whose gifts to PDS include not only the property but also financial support. Our school continues to thrive today because of the vision and dedication of educators, students and families from Miss Fine's School and Princeton Country Day School.
In 1899, a young woman named May Margaret Fine opened a school in Princeton to prepare
girls for college with a curriculum including English, French, Latin, history and mathematics. At a time when women were not expected to attend college, and when only one out of eight children in America went to school at all, Miss Fine's School was a bold venture.
In 1924, a group of parents established an elementary school for boys on Bayard Lane, next to Miss Fine's School. The boys' school was known as Princeton Country Day School. Both schools flourished, and in 1965, when the advantages of coeducation could not be ignored, the two merged to become Princeton Day School.
Today, Princeton Day School enrolls about 900 boys and girls in Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12. We continue to blend the best of both Miss Fine's and Princeton Country Day schools — including the annual Maypole Dance originally reserved for upper schoolers at Miss Fine's and now enthusiastically performed each spring by PDS second-grade students.